Last updated 23 October 2017.
The Intellectual Property & Technology Journal (“IPTJournal“) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
The Site may, from time to time, contain links to other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
What information do we collect?
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on the Site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use the Site, subscribe to our service, search for a page, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on the Site, enter a survey and when you report a problem with the Site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, personal description and photograph.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to the Site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full ‘Uniform Resource Locators’ (or ‘URL’) clickstream to, through and from the Site (including date and time); pages you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call us.
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you visit our social media sites or any of the other websites we operate, or use the services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers and/or credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
We take the security of your information seriously. We have a committed security policy in place where we implement a number of security measures to ensure the safety of any information in our possession or control. The information is contained on a secure server, which is accessible only by a limited number of employees who have limited access rights to such information.
When you submit your credit card details, our payment gateway partners use industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology to guard your information. In addition, we have security procedures in place to protect our customer database from loss and misuse, and only allow access to it when absolutely necessary, and then under strict guidelines as to what use may be made of the information contained within it.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
How will we use your information?
We collect your information mainly to record and support your participation in the activities you select. We may also use your information:
- to make this Site available to you and to provide you with content that is tailored to your individual tastes;
- to provide you with services that you request and obtain your feedback on such services;
- as part of our effort to keep you informed via mail, e-mail, phone or fax about updates to our Site, special offers, and other products and services we offer;
- for record keeping purposes;
- to improve the quality of our service;
- for market research;
- to measure and improve activity on the Site;
- in connection with targeting/advertising activities;
- to understand your preferences so that we can improve the products or services we offer;
- to administer the Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve the Site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
- as part of our efforts to keep the Site safe and secure.
In order to pursue any of the purposes for which we may use your information, we may also pass and share your information with third parties who provide services to us.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose your information to our holding companies, subsidiaries or associated companies in which we have an interest.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract IPTJournal enters into with them or you;
- advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of the Site; and
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that IPTJournal sells or buys any business or assets, in which case IPTJournal may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if IPTJournal or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its users will be one of the transferred assets; and
Access to information
You have the right to access information held about you. We may charge a small fee towards the cost of administering any request you make. The current fee is RM50.00.
You may ask us to make any necessary changes to your information to ensure it is accurate and up-to-date.
Personal information from minors
We do not and will not knowingly collect information from any unsupervised child under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you may not use this Site unless you have the consent of, and are supervised by, a parent or guardian.