Last updated on 09 October 2018
This acceptable use policy (the “Acceptable Use Policy”) sets out the terms between you and the Intellectual Property & Technology Journal (“IPTJournal”) under which you may access IPTJournal’s website at www.iptjournal.com (the “Site”). This Acceptable Use Policy applies to all users of, and visitors to, the Site.
You may use the Site only for lawful purposes. You may not use the Site:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with IPTJournal’s content standards
- to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam); or
- to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree not to:
- access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of the Site;
- any equipment or network on which the Site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of the Site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
IPTJournal may from time to time provide interactive services on the Site, including, without limitation:
- chat rooms;
- round tables; and/or
- bulletin boards.
(the “Interactive Service(s)”).
Where IPTJournal does provide any Interactive Service, IPTJournal will provide clear information to you about the kind of Interactive Service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical).
IPTJournal will do its best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for children) from third parties when they use any Interactive Service provided on the Site, and IPTJournal will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant Interactive Service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, IPTJournal is under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any Interactive Services IPTJournal provides on the Site, and IPTJournal expressly excludes its liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any Interactive Services by a user in contravention of IPTJournal’s content standards, whether the Interactive Services are moderated or not.
Where IPTJournal does moderate the Interactive Services, IPTJournal will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to the Site (the “Contributions”), and to any Interactive Services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit and the letter of the following standards. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
- be accurate (where they state facts);
- be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
- comply with applicable law in Malaysia and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- contain any material which is defamatory of any person;
- contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promote sexually explicit material;
- promote violence;
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;
- be likely to deceive any person;
- be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- promote any illegal activity;
- be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or
- advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Suspension and termination
IPTJournal will determine, in its sole discretion, whether there has been a breach of this Acceptable Use Policy through your use of the Site. When a breach of this Acceptable Use Policy has occurred, IPTJournal may take such action as it deems appropriate.
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use the Site;
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or material uploaded by you to the Site;
- Issue of a warning to you;
IPTJournal excludes liability for actions taken in response to breaches of this Acceptable Use Policy. The responses described in this Acceptable Use Policy are not limited, and IPTJournal may take any other action IPTJournal reasonably deems appropriate.
Changes to the Acceptable Use Policy
IPTJournal may revise this Acceptable Use Policy at any time by amending this page. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes IPTJournal makes, as they are binding on you. Some of the provisions contained in this Acceptable Use Policy may also be superseded by provisions or notices published elsewhere on the Site.